5000 Hours of Play
In 2019, Jump Up Outdoors aims to get Brisbane kids playing outside for a total of 5000 hours. That’s 5000 hours not on electronic devices…5000 hours of fun…5000 hours of healthy development. C’mon kids, let’s Jump Up & get outdoors!
Jump Up Outdoors hours of play so far :
Benefits of Jump Up Outdoors
Unstructured and Imaginative
Play allows children to be self directed, innovative, creative and to solve problems
Age Appropriate Risk Taking
Helps children learn how to manage risks themselves and to become more resilient
Freedom and Autonomy
To play the way children are hardwired to play – doing their own thing in their own time, making the rules as they go
Connection with Nature
That fosters enjoyment of nature, empathy for creatures, sense of oneness & sense of responsibility
What we do…
Jump Up Outdoors is a unique program that gets kids playing outdoors, away from screens and having fun.
We provide enticing outdoor play environments, with a wide variety of upcycled loose materials and then the children do what they do best…play! The result is hours and hours of unstructured play in which children imagine, create, develop their interests and passions and follow their instincts.
Jump Up Outdoors programs have been developed by a paediatric occupational therapist with over 25 years experience.
What we believe
- Childhood should be cherished and valued
- A connection with nature is essential for healthy development
- Unstructured play is as important to children as food, shelter and education
- Children are capable and competent
- Exposure to appropriate risks provides opportunities to develop and learn
- Children need time (to develop ideas…with friends…alone…to finish play)